Monday 24 June 2013

Jumping out of a Plane

ICS consists of three parts. As well the overseas placement, volunteers are required to fundraise and undertake an Action at Home Project.
I was asked to fundraise at least £800 as a contribution to Raleigh International to enable them to continue to send young people, like me, to developing countries. This covers everything from flights, to visas and accommodation, as the scheme is partially government funded.
Tandem Skydive
To start with, I choose to jump out of a plane, because why not… My logic was that I wouldn’t have to train and it would be over quickly. However, I didn’t take into consideration that it would be absolutely terrifying. I was attached to someone and there was a parachute so that wasn’t so bad! It was worth it, and I’m glad I did it; I’m just not rushing off to do again! More importantly, and what made it all worthwhile is that I raised £635 in sponsorship.
Next on my list was a raffle at school where I raised £329.03. After writing to and sending emails to all the businesses in Slough (well almost) I received donations from Nandos and the local ice skating rink.
 
I also contacted organisations about donations and joined the Slough Lions for a meeting where I told them about ICS and what I was going to be doing out in Tanzania. I very kindly received a donation of £150. Shortly after I received another surprise in that I was invited for an interview for the Sheila Rooney Travel Scholarship with my local branch of Soroptimist International. I was successfully and have received £400 towards my contribution.
So that was just a brief overview and in total I raised £1,534.31.
 
My justgiving page: www.justgiving.com/Abi2Tanzania-RaleighICS


 

No comments:

Post a Comment